Today, Thomas is 1!
We, and I do mean WE, feel like we are finished having babies, and I had the vein surgery to confirm that. I am definitely finished birthing them. So, with our 3 kids filling our house and anticipating the days of not having a crib or booster seat or pack and play or getting to see what the world looks like at 3pm (which are bittersweet thoughts), I consider Thomas's first year to be the first year of the rest of our lives.
I do feel like we have entered into another phase in the life of our family. In many ways he is still a baby. Sippy cups, spoons and bowls and a crib and diapers and chew toys and outlet covers. But there are no more bottles to wash, no bouncy seat big enough to contain him, and clothes are utilitarian and not "so sweet". I am excited about this new year and the changes we will live through. There are, however, some lessons hard-learned from this past year that I will carry with me into our new phases of life:
1. Always have shredded cheese in the fridge. When dad works late, I found the same meal can make dinner and fill up a 7 year old, a 4 year old, and a 10 month old.
2. 4pm is not too early to get dinner started. And this is for a 6:30 dining time. And it's most likely reheating leftovers in the microwave.
3. 4am is the only time during the day I can sit and watch tv uninterrupted. So I did that, once, on April 29th, 2011.
4. For me to expect the kitchen floor to only need to be swept once a day is foolishness. It may be sufficient to say I should sweep the kitchen floor once times the number of people and pets residing in home.
5. The amount of time it takes in minutes for each human unit living in our home to get ready to walk out the door is 21 divided by the age of the person. And yes, that means I can get ready in nano seconds.
6. I am no longer allowed to judge mothers who are unaware that one of their small human units in the home is playing in or around the bathroom and it's accessories. I cannot always keep track of where and what everyone is doing. Thus, lesson learned is: close toilet lid for year 2 with 3....
7. A load of laundry must be done daily. Even Sundays. And leap days. From now until the end of time.
8. It counts as exercise if I squat while I pick up toys, dropped laundry, or snack crumbs off the floor. That means I exercise 5 to 6 times a day, which I bet is more than you and that makes me feel good about myself, unless you are doing the same kind of exercise I am.
9. I no longer avoid making phone calls at certain times of the day. I call when I can, because it may be the only time the whole year I have time. So sorry if you're phone rings at 7am or 11:30pm. It's because I love you so.
What, did you think there would be 10 Lessons? I have 3 kids, what makes you think I'd have time to come up with 10??!
4 comments:
Such a sweet, precious pic of your kids. I might just have to print it!
I love your post. So hilarious. So true. So fun.
Lesson 10 could be: "Drinking coffee while your pregnant and/or nursing won't kill your baby. And may just make him darn cute."
Is Ryan offended that you're saying you can get ready and out the door faster than he can? Because according to your formula . . .
Thanks, Molly! Very insightful. I'm hoping my sweeping ritual increases with my third, because right now 2 toddlers + 1 large dog - 3hrs of naps (in which I do not sweep)= Never.
I thought adding a newborn to the equation would make it Never Ever. But I think you've inspired me.
i love laughing through your list because i already identify oh so well. don't know if this is because i grew up in such a large family, or i see the same tendencies starting in our home with only two kids :)
Post a Comment