Our friends, Philly and Elizabeth Osborn, are in Greenville for the summer. They have been studying for 2 years at New Tribes Mission in Roach, Missouri. God has given them a heart to teach unreached people groups, and they have been pursuing this road since we met 4 years ago. They are anticipating serving in the highlands of Papua New Guinea. We LOVE having them come to Greenville on breaks, and always look forward to chances to hang out.
So, Ryan got this crazy idea (and I did confirm, it was Ryan's and not Philly's) to take our families camping to spend some time together. I had to overcome my trepidation about the heat and sleeping conditions for the girls, and once I did I was excited to try and be adventurous. We camped at Paris Mountain, figuring that was the most likely place to set ourselves up for success, and if anything were to go wrong (ie. inconsolable child) then home was no further than a 30 minute drive. It did take Nancy over 3 hours to go to sleep, even with Benedryl. Belle was asleep in 30 minutes, with minimal amount of crying. Bravo.
Our neighbors were all in giant campers with names like "Intruder", and most of them had tiny dogs and tvs inside. We, on the other hand, roughed it with tents large enough for pack and plays, hangers for roasting marshmallows, a water filter, and French press. I was expecting Elizabeth to bake bread from scratch over the open flames, which is what I was under the impression they were learning to do at school. She told me I was mistaken.
Like most men, Philly and Ryan love fire, so we ate an exorbitant amount of breakfast just to give Philly the chance to play with the fire longer. Then we went for a hike with the kids, where Kate fell at least 3 times. She was so tired of it herself, the last time she fell she yelled "OH NO!!! Not again!!! I am so tired of falling down!!"
The Burns family, ready for naptime.
3 comments:
Hi Molly-Just wanted to let you know your camping post made me laugh. It's also nice to know we're not the only ones who take benadryl with us on camping trips:).
Amy
Loved it! I love you girl! It has been a great summer getting closer! :)
Welcome, welcome to the world of fast internet and blogging! I'll be mighty impressed if you keep up with this rate of updates :-) You are a brave woman taking two little ones camping. Maybe I would make my husband happy if I agreed to go sometime. Hmmm....
Post a Comment