Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving is My Favorite

I love waking up and watching the cheezy Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, I love to anticipate eating all the yummy food and then actually eating all the yummy food. But most of all, I love that after the meal, there is nothing, or anything. We used to go to a field and play roll the bat or football, but now that we are all older, we sit around, drink coffee and talk. We can go to a movie if we want, with family members we never usually go to the movies with, or we can take a nap, or all of that.

There are no presents to open or birthday candles to blow out, and more often than not, no one has to work the next day so we can be as lazy as we want for as long as we feel like it.

I know, I know. Thanksgiving's not really about eating and being lazy. It's about the first meal the Puritans shared with the Natives here in America. I'm thankful for the journey that was made across a cold, unfriendly sea, and the country that was established 150 some-odd years later and continues to work all the kinks out. I am thankful I have the freedom to worship any way I feel led. But I'm also skeptical of how it all really went down 320 years ago. How accurate are the stories we are taught in school? So I'll just celebrate it in my simpleton way with casseroles and Scattergories and a good long nap - I can be just as thankful for those things.


Coloring and watching the parade. Strange it was not that long ago that I could lay on my stomach...


I think we only had to take 2 pictures to get a decent shot. This is also one of those moments that everyone kind of bemoans, but it's really worth it to capture how everyone looks each year. Isn't it so fun to look back on old pictures?




The Grands with Kate, Nancy and Spencer.





We went for a Turkey Day park outing. Nancy rides her tricycle better than Kate ever could, especially considering I never had to teach her how to. I think she's the more athletic of the two and wonder what it will look like to have an athletic girl. I do not understand them.



This fall, because we didn't have enough to do, we decided to begin tackling teaching Kate how to ride her bike without training wheels. I was amazed at how quickly she caught on. Hopefully come summertime, I can push Nancy and the baby in the stroller while Kate wheels her way around the track. That sounds like bliss.

No comments: