The smell of freshly baked cookies should elicit sighs of contentment and squeals of delight from little ones in the house. Right? I imagine in someone else's house they do, but in my house, this is the response when I bake cookies:
"Mom, what is that smell??!?"
"Well, darlin'. It's Kate's giant pizza cookie cake thing for her birthday party that Mommy made too big and it overflowed in the oven and burnt on the bottom of the rack. Aren't you excited about eating it?!?!"
At 3:40, the cookie burning happened, then a bottle of red wine was spilled in the fridge and a giant blow out of a diaper happened, plus Kate and I were trying to get ready for meet the teacher. I'm running through a smoky haze in the house without my shirt on, trying not to get poop on me while getting it out of my son's hair, and also closing all the hall doors and opening all doors and windows to the 98 degree heat outside to let the smoke out to avoid setting off the fire alarm. I opened the door to the garage, opened the garage door to allow the smoke to go out, and the dog runs inside, then out, then I forget about the dog for a few minutes until I remember I forgot about the dog and start hollering for her to come, she's taken off on a joy walk around the neighborhood. When my mom arrived at 4:00, all was well and besides the fragrance of burnt marshmallows burning our noses, she never would have known the chaos that was happening just seconds before she came inside. Too bad that wine was spilled. Coulda used some before meet the teacher.
Happy Birthday, Kate!
2 comments:
Teacher: "Well, um, hello Mrs. Burns. Would you like a smock, because it seems you forgot your shirt. And maybe a napkin for that - um, is that grape juice on your upper lip?"
Thanks for the laugh.
And Happy Anniversary to the Burns Couple. Remind me to tell you about our Anniversary 'date' from this year. something about having three little ones. Bliss.
Post a Comment