Yesterday I joined Kate in her class for an Author's Tea. The students are studying poetry and the teacher hosted a time when parents and family could come in and hear the kids work. There were also notebooks on each students desk where you could write "critiques" of the author's work.
I took a video of Kate reading her poem, since Dad couldn't be there. I love that you can hear all the students reading their own poems out loud in the background.
Kate likes to write. She likes to write short stories, poems, thank you notes....pretty much any opportunity to put her vocabulary to the test. Remember last years impromptu Thanksgiving poem? I am not sure what I was expecting of this poem thing, but I can definitely say I was caught off guard. It really did make me tear up.
The students were given a template to follow, almost like a Mad Libs. You know, "The (adj) (noun) walked in a (noun) and (verb)." But it was done in a way that what they were able to verbalize what they hear and do and love. My tears were because I love what Kate loves. It makes my heart happy. Listen closely, you may hear something about what you love, too!
1 comment:
from Sarala.....sweetness!
I love getting to know your Kate too...just wish we could hang out more!
Post a Comment