Tuesday, October 14, 2008

All to Save a Buck

We had some flooding at the house yesterday. I needed to wash my loofah. You know, they get stinky, so I soaked it in the bathroom sink with a bit of bleach. Before we left for the library, I went to our room to change and rinse out the loofah. I decided to let it soak in clean water, so I plugged up the sink again to fill it, and walked away. And didn't walk back for another 2 hours. We went to the library, came home, fixed a picnic lunch and played outside before I realized the water was still running. I knew it was really bad when water began to gush over my feet as I walked on the carpet just 2 steps from our bedroom door. I knew it was really, really bad when I saw 1/2 an inch of water covering the floor of the bathroom. I knew it was awful when the bottom of our closet and everything in it was wet from the water in the carpet (including really nice pairs of shoes). But it wasn't until I dared to look under the house that I knew this far surpassed any home damage I had ever seen my brother, myself, or my father inflict in the past, combined. (I talk about my family because up until now Ryan and I have had minimal incidents in our home)
There was 3 inches of water in the wheelbarrow we store under our house. The insulation was wet. The water ran towards the front of the house and spread as close to 3 feet from the foundation. The water had poured through the plywood under the flooring onto the floor of the crawlspace. I was an absolute basket case.
I called Ryan, he was home by 1:00 with his parents shopvac. I went to my folks and got their shop vac, and for 2 1/2 hours we sucked over 17 gallons of water out of our carpet. On the way to my parents house, I just kept praying the damage would be minimal, and that God would send someone into our life to guide us and let us know what to do to best prevent mold and mildew. My biggest fear was it not drying quick enough and mold taking over and making us sick and our house un-sellable.
When I returned with the second shop vac, Ryan called my brother, who used to work for Steamatic. They carpet clean, but also do lots of flood damage control and restoration and check out mold and mildew damage. I mean, he has a serious oxygen resporator thingy for when he'd have to crawl under houses and stuff. He came right away, and said that we needed to check the padding. He was able to point us in the right direction, and led Ryan on what to do. In short, they pulled out the insulation to let the wood dry under the house, they ripped the carpet up and the padding, and "floated" the carpet over 3 box fans that we will run constantly for 9 days until the carpet and the wood is dry. Then we will install new insulation and padding after everything is dry. When I prayed for someone to guide us, I had no idea it would be Ray!! Thank you so much, bro! We would have worked in vain if you had not come and selflessly given your time and energy. He and Ray worked for 4 hours on the house. And Heather came and helped me keep my mind off the fact that all of this was my fault, and even read to Kate and tucked her in. Thanks for giving up a date night to help us!
Where were the girls all this time? Another blessing: Lee Anne came and got them, took them to the park, fed them ice cream, fed them supper (in that order) and even brought them back to us at mom and dad's house after supper. She even brought a dehumidifier from Kim DeLoach, which we put under the house. Ray said it will be a lifesaver, because they are $150 a day to rent, and it sucks all the bad moisture out of the air. I am so thankful for you, Aunt Lee Ann! Kate says that she likes spending time with Lee Anne because "I get lots of fun sursees".
There is so much more I want to say about what's happened, but I've got to go by the house and let the dog out. Nancy has been in her booster seat with breakfast unsupervised for far too long. We will stay at mom and dad's again tonight (they are out of town for the week), go to the beach with the Keevers Thursday night through Monday morning, then head to Litchfield to Ryan's parent's condo and come home next Wednesday evening. The floor should be dry by then, right?


View from the sink into the bedroom. This is after the padding is ripped up.


Our closet.



The doorway is to the hallway. It started to make it's way down the hall.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, girl, I hear you. I'm so so sorry. Our "thermal expansion tank" (near the water heater... didn't know that till now) got a hole in it and leaked and covered our entire first floor with 1" water just a couple weeks ago. The flood people brought in those giant dehumidifiers/the giant fans/the works and dried everything out for a week. Then they still had to rip up all the flooring and replace it. Who knew water could do so much damage?!!? It looks like yall caught yours, and I will join you in praying that you'll be able to recover and resell the house. Keep us updated!
:-)Melissa Hunt

Cayce said...

Oh, Molly. I'm so sorry! You have a great attitude and I know you're so thankful for the help of your family and friends! Keep us updated!

Bran said...

Wow! Super cool how God provided so much in such a short time though!!! Your bro, Lee Anne, places and time out of the house to just be away from it and all the fans!!! wow! I pray it'll be super dry super soon!
love y'all.

Jones Family said...

Oh no!! Happy drying out...enjoy your vacation time away...especially from the ornament making!!

Mary said...

oh molly!!! wow- wow- i cannot believe this! praise God for your fam! praying for y'all.....interested in how your heart is today.....love you girl- i'll call