Sunday, February 21, 2010

How Do You Like This Pink?

I had so much fun getting advice from everyone about the room color. We seriously considered most of the ideas, but realized after much deliberation that 1. we were not willing to put all the extra time and effort into painting 2 colors, painting trim, painting a border, etc. and 2. putting all that time and effort into painting 2 colors or painting trim or a border would negate the money saved on buying and using the $5 gallon of paint. All that to say, I think the room is fun but wouldn't say I love the color.

We painted one night, while the girls slept in sleeping bags on the floor in the baby's room, and Ryan finished up Saturday morning. Then last weekend was the girls' Christmas present trip to Boone to visit their cousins, and Ryan and I finished hanging all the lighting and adding the finishing touches. I also organized their closet and desk drawers, which was heaven. I was totally uninterrupted and had nothing but time to do something I really love to do! What a treat! Sick, I know, but if you'll pay me, I'll come organize something for you, too! Let my sickness benefit you!


We let the girls "help" paint, which lasted all of 15 minutes. Here is Nancy painting over a spot she colored on over a year ago.


Can you see me in the background, totally stressing out?!


The mirror over the bureau. I decided to use the light pink "sample" paint to do a border around the mirror. Kate loved it, and said "now we both have the colors we wanted." She liked the light pink better than the dark. She was a good sport about it, for the most part.


Desk we found at Goodwill. I'll get around to painting it, one day. Most excited that it holds a lot of craft stuff and we didn't need an extra bookshelf in the room.



All (most) finished! Since this photo, my mom has painstakingly sewn 2 pillow covers for some giant floor pillows under the canopy where the girls can sit and read or make a fort. I'd like to get some kind of fabric above the window, and don't know what to hang on the wall by the window. We had paintings for each of the girls with their names on them, but it was too much color, too busy. I'm totally open for suggestions!

Hopefully the girls will enjoy spending time in here together, and hopefully it's a place where they can relax and all of their favorite things have a place. Next we'll be conquering the baby's room, where all the extra stuff has seemed to land. Although there's not much to be done besides clean out all the stuff from redoing the girls' room and put up the crib! We'll have to wait until May to see which bumper to use and if I can get down our baby girl clothes.

May. Doesn't that seem so far away to you?

3 comments:

Evelyn & Floyd said...

love the freak-out face you are making :)

Ashley Ables said...

Ashley Ables here, randomly reading your blog :) Here are my wall suggestions:
http://foldbedding.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=38
or
http://foldbedding.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=77
Expensive, but you may be able to craft your own. They are simple but really fun, and easy to put up! (We have the fish ones)

julia :: the long long swing said...

such a cute room! love how the desk fits in there - what a great find.

i'm a big fan of art walls. you could string some wire across the wall and use clips to hang some of the girls' art - changing it out when it gets old. (ikea has something great for this but you can always just make it from scratch) or, for a more cohesive (and honorable) look, get 4 (or 6 - hard to tell how much room there is) plain frames and put art in those.

or you could use vinyl stickers (whatisblik.com or etsy.com for a huge variety of colors, sizes, themes and custom orders). they're not permanent, so you could change or remove them as the girls' tastes change.