If you haven't heard about our Christmas, read about that here. If you have, then you understand that this was a redemptive snow. Here is a video capturing the girls as they woke up Monday morning:
It snowed 6 inches Sunday night, and the girls woke up to a beautiful snowy morning. I usually pay no attention to the weatherman when he says there will be snow. Not because I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing, but because it rarely happens to the extent predicted and I think people here have a tendency to overreact to the effect of snow and ice. Basically, I am the Debbie Downer of winter. I get very little pleasure from snow, none at all from ice, and any excitement I have about wintery weather takes it's root from the excitement of my kids and husband. I don't hate snow, I just don't care that much about it.
However, I do care, very much, about my kids, and their excitement was pure and contagious. And Ryan wanted to play in the snow so badly, he took a half day off of work to come home and sled and build a snowman. Our attire is ill equipped to withstand the wet and cold snow, there was a certain amount of trial and error before we found the right combination of gloves, tights, socks and shoes to keep hands and feet warm and dry. It made me wish that we were neighbors with my sister-in-law and her family, so the NC Burns could teach our girls more about how to really play in the snow, or at the very least that I had bought those snow boots on clearance last season.
Jeremy Keever drove over and picked the kids and me up and took us to play with the Keevers. Do you see Calahan the Sasquatch lurking in the background?
The snow was not great "snowman" snow, but we worked as hard as we could before our fingers started to go numb.
Today is Thursday - day 4 out of school. Tomorrow is a teacher workday, which was news to me, and Monday is MLK holiday. If you want to add that up, it's 10 days out of school. So here we are, in the middle of Christmas Break Part 2, minus the Christmas and pneumonia. And it is so much better than the original Christmas break!
No comments:
Post a Comment