When I met my friends at Clemson when we were 18, the thought that these may possibly be the kind of friends that share our families with each other and grow up together never crossed my mind. I was just so excited to make new friends and have fun with each other and make fun memories that I didn't think about the future. I certainly didn't think that there would be 20 kids between 11 women born within 5 1/2 years! A luxury, now I see, to be in a place so comfortable in life that I didn't have to think about my future.
I think it is such a gift God gives us to find in people a kindred spirit that endures life's trials. To get to partner with people in their journeys, and to be a part of each other's journey, I feel is such a blessing. Many of my Clemson memories are as vivid to me as they were the day they happened, and when they were happening I did not consider us kids. But we were! And I still feel in many ways that I still am a kid, waiting to feel like a grown up! We may not live with each other anymore, or know what we all have had for breakfast or how that exam went or be there when someone wounds us or get to rejoice with each other when good news comes, but there is something so very comforting about coming together with friends that know you so well, you don't have to explain yourself. Although we've all changed greatly in 10 years, those years we spent together at school, living and sharing with each other, gave us insight into who each of us is at our core.
All of that to say, I got to take the girls to Clemson earlier in the month to visit my dear friend Brandy and her kids. They moved up at Christmastime from Bluffton, and we are trying to take advantage of being so close. It is kind of amazing that kids and everyday life have only let us see each other a couple of times, but each time we try and plan out our next hang out time to cram in visits! Bran has Sarala (4), Jackson (2.5) and Sam (1). It was so fun!! Bran makes me a more relaxed person. She's very laid back and just doesn't get stressed out and keeps things in perspective.
The kids had a lot of fun together. Sarala and Kate played in Sarala's room most of the time, pretending all kinds of things. Nancy went between the big girls and Jackson and "baby Sayum"- she just wants to be where the action is. We packed a lunch and went to the Botanical Gardens and took a walk, it was a beautiful day! I had my wedding portraits taken here, and of course I never thought about bringing my daughters to hang out in the garden where their Daddy proposed and I wore my wedding gown! Then B turned me on to Sonic's happy hour and we got some giant Dr. Pepper's as a treat to ourselves. Love you B! It was fun making more memories with you and the kids! Can't wait for the zoo with Tracy in April!
Sarala and Kate checking out the fish.
This was Nancy's favorite part of the day! She even talked about it to Ryan at dinner that night, how she got to "ride de strorrer ride wif jackson. I stam up!" (stand up) And Jackson was such a strong, sweet boy keeping Nancy safe with his arm around Nancy to make sure she didn't fall off.
I love Nancy cutting her eyes at Jackson!
2 comments:
So precious! I've got to get our pics up too! We love y'all and look forward to next time!!!!
so true...
Love you girl!
Post a Comment