Monday, March 2, 2009

DHEC Gives the Green Light



Kate talking on the phone to cousins McKenzie and Paige. We like to call them the "NC Burnses".



The Department of Health has given us the green light to re-enter the world beyond our front porch. Kate is well and no other family members are showing signs of the flu. Kate was well just long enough to not be able to enjoy the snow - seeing she had a fever just over 24 hours ago, I didn't feel good about sending her out with her runny nose to play. Plus, due to the snow, her appointment to get her cast set was pushed until tomorrow, so she still has the soft splint on and I could just picture her falling off a sled into the street on her wrist.

I just want to say thank you for loving on us! Between all the phone calls, food, toys and videos for the girls, emails, cards and even flowers, we felt more blessed than cursed and your thoughts and prayers were greatly felt - we decided to do all we could to make the most of the weekend instead of bemoaning what could have been. Ryan used a projector from his office and we hung a sheet up and watched movies in our bedroom. Kate fared well, really only having a fever for 3 days, and the hardest part of it all was keeping Nancy away from her. They have spent some good time together today pretending the coat closet is a rocketship, and Rick, they even went to Australia to visit you and said they had a great time. Thanks friends and family, for loving us and being the body of Christ. We are so blessed by you, and seeing that you cared about what was going on in our hard week put our circumstances in perspective. I am really amazed with all the love we felt and am just so thankful for friends and family that are willing to serve us and our kids and listen to me whine and love me in spite of it!

Today was Ryan's first day "working" from home, which Jami declared a snow day, so I think our first day was not a typical day. He changed diapers, read to the girls, took out the trash and cleaned the breakfast dishes. I even got to go to the store this afternoon while the kids rested - I can't remember the last time I ran errands on a weekday afternoon - maybe July of 2003! I can see we'll have some ground rules to establish, and his being here will be harder to get used to than I thought. But it was fun to have lunch with him and to get out of the house for a bit.

One final note: Did you know that cauliflower has sugar in it? And when you steam it and forget about it, the water in the pot dries up and the sugar carmelizes in the bottom of the pan and stinks up your whole house on a cold winter day when you shouldn't open the windows? Kate: "Hey, mom, uhh, what are we having for dinner?" Me: "Not what you smell, I burned something." Kate: "whew. that's good, because I think you should open the windows, it smells pretty awful in here." 

For those of you in our community group, don't worry. The cauliflower puree will not be appearing in anything I plan on offering you at our next meeting. I have learned my lesson.



No comments: