Look at me! It's Monday again, and I actually remembered my new resolution of writing weekly via the Monday posts. First step: figure out how to make the time to jot thoughts into the week. Second step: make said thoughts coherent.
Second step will be a long time coming.
On to another "thing" I do; or don't do:
I don't wash my hair (often). True story.
My hair used to be straight and shiny smooth, blow dry it and go, and I coulda pulled off Rachel-from-Friends-in-1995 hair, but in 1995 I was too young to have that hair cut.
And that's our dog, Belle, when she was a puppy. I promise she's not dead there.
At some point shortly after I got married, my hair started to curl. And now this is what it looks like when I blow dry it:
After a few years of trial and error, asking other trusted curly-haired friends how they keep their curls, someone told me about the book, Curly Girl, by Lorraine Massey.
This book changed my hair's life. It's basically like the Oil Cleansing Method for your hair. The idea that your body naturally produces oil, and when we wash with detergents - which is what most of our commercial soaps are - it completely strips your hair and then overproduces oil, which is what leads some people to feel like they need to wash their hair even twice a day. A vicious cycle.
I wash it with paraben free shampoo twice a week, the other days I either don't wash it or use conditioner to wash it. Yes. It sounds like rubbing oil in your hair. But it's not. Because it's soft and not fuzzy, bouncy but not heavy. And since I hate to get ready, I love that I only need to wash my hair 2x a week. It makes me more willing to get out of bed when I know I don't have to "do" my hair. I'd just rather use that time for other stuff. Like drinking coffee.
You can read all about how to tweak the method for yourself and your hair personality. Most people have some kind of wave to their hair, so I think that most people's hair can benefit from this practice. I am not necessarily a Curly Girl purist - but I do what makes my hair do what I want. Here is my "routine", and I will share with you the products I use as well:
- wash hair with paraben free shampoo (I use EveryDay Shea, a big 32oz. bottle for $9.99 that lasts me about 3 months)
- rinse shampoo, add a big blob of conditioner (Tea Tree Triple Treat by Giovanni or Yes! To Carrots, both at Target for $7.99 and $8.99, respectively) and start at ends and work up to roots.
-rinse conditioner, squeeze excess water out, and squeeze drips with a microfiber towel (I use an old 50/50 tshirt. Gross? Meh....)
-here is where I spend my money: DevaCurl hair gel. It's $18.95 for a 12oz. bottle.*
That's it. I don't blow dry (except my bangs), I never brush my hair, I only diffuse in the winter when it's cold and my hair is still dripping before heading out the door, and I don't use curling wands** or irons or other hot things. I told you, I really hate getting ready.
Why I love this method:
- ZERO split ends. Even going 4 months between hair cuts.
- No more dry, flaky, itchy scalp.
- No more fuzzy hair.
- Very little maintenance and product and equipment. (cha-ching)
- Products that are good for my skin and hair, not harsh and scary.
- Happy hair = more time to think about other, more important things (dinner and carpool line).
This method may not be for you, but I think it's fun to try new things. The book is helpful and full of info, it's worth the read: I picked it up at the library! And this routine and the products are my favorites, but was born over a couple of years of trial and error. My hair may look the same every day, but when I like what it looks like most days, then I am okay with it being the same...
*BUT, it does not have all that wax in it that builds up on your scalp and makes your scalp itchy. And also doesn't make your waves crunchy, but soft. I also don't dye my hair, and get it cut just 4x a year, so there's money there that I use for product instead.
**even though i recently witnessed what a wand can do to curls after a few days of not-washing. magical. and kinda want one.


3 comments:
This is so intriguing to me. Like you, I had stick straight hair. Mine changed earlier though- I was around 14 I think. Mine is way curly (especially on top, underside is less curly). I aim to only wash it every other day, but when it's warmer or I've gone for a run or something, it becomes an every day thing. I use shampoo, conditioner, then a leave in Redken "anti-snap" conditioner, and then what has been my miracle (as far as beating humidity and frizz), MoroccanOil. Then I blow dry, and flat iron it. Before I flat iron it, mine looks a lot like your post- blow dry picture, but worse:). Thanks for posting this- I bookmarked it, and I'm going to check out some of the products you listed, and maybe the book. I just can't imagine letting my hair be curly- though I would love to stop constantly punishing my hair. Sorry for the longest blog comment ever!!
Just how old were you in 1995? I was graduating from college & planning my wedding. Way to make me feel old, Molly Burns.
You've convinced me to try this again. I tried about a year ago but my hair wasn't long enough to go au-natural. I felt like the aunt on the Simpsons (member her?). Not that's it longer, I may give it another go.....
Post a Comment