Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Missional vs. Missions



"For this is no way they have chosen themselves, no undertaking of their own. It is, in the strict sense of the word, a mission." Bonhoeffer, Cost of Discipleship.



There has been an interesting amount of chatter on blogs and evangelical media websites buzzing about this word "missional". It introduces a nuanced word to shift our thinking from missions (noun) to missional (adjective). 

And I have to say, I am totally on board with the shift. Because I think it's what Jesus called his disciples to: be missional. Not "do" missions; be missions. It should ooze from a follower of Christ, just like kindness, compassion, repentance and forgiveness of others should as well. Missionality is a fruit of the Holy Spirit, a part of love, joy, peace, patience...

This Friday, I have an opportunity to be missional in a brand new way for me. Our church, Grace Church, has established a partnership with an organization in Kenya. Four teams a year are sent, usually 2 medical and 2 teaching trips. I am one of 17 leaving in less than 48 hours to help with a medical clinic that will be hosted near Kiawara Baptist Church, North of Nairobi. 

I have nothing to do with the medical field, except I take medicine and go to the doctor's office occasionally. I believe that God calls each believer to live outside of themselves and their comfort for the sake of the Gospel, even though in the world's eyes (read: check-out lady at Trader Joe's) it seems non-sensical for me to go on this trip - because what do I have to offer the team and God?? - it makes much sense to God's kingdom. And that's the kindgom I should be concerned about, not my own.

Pray for us. Pray for the nations.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am honored to serve along side you and am excited to see the ways that God uses us to serve His purposes. see you in 29 hours :)