Thursday, July 23, 2009

Camping with the Fullers

We went camping again this year! If you remember, we went with the Osborns last year, and it went well if you don't count the fact that Nancy slept only 6 hours. For some reason, we were talking with the Fullers at a wedding about camping and got the crazy idea that we'd try it together. Crazy not because it's weird we wanted to hang out with the Fullers; not even crazy that we talked about going camping. Crazy...because last time, Nancy only slept 6 hours. And we got to park right beside our car last time. And there were grills, and real potties.

But, we were far enough removed from July '08 that we were willing to try it again, and everything is an adventure with the Fullers! We went on June 26; Greta was choosing to be excited and not stressed, since she claimed she never camped before, except she did, for a whole week in high school. She says that doesn't count, but it's longer than all my camping experience put together, so I say it counts. And since I said it counts, it counts. Right? Oh, and from here on out, Ryan and Stuart will thus be referred to as OutdoorsMan #1 and #2, respectively.

We caravaned up to Pisgah National Forest in Brevard, arriving around 7pm. The thought that other people would be crazy enough to camp never crossed my mind, until we found ourselves still driving around looking for a campsite at 8:00! OutdoorsMan #1 finally asked a ranger where we should go, and he said we could camp off the side of the road anywhere we could find a spot as long as it was 1000ft. from the road. So, against all my rule-follower instinct, we parked dead in front of a "NO CAMPING" sign and began to unload. It was a creepy mideval looking kind of woods, which looked like it had been planted for logging purposes, and there is no water source or close hiding places to go potty. But since there was an existing fire pit and signs of previous campers, we'd be totally safe (so says OutdoorsMan #1). Remember, we had to be 1000ft. off the road, so we make several trips back and forth from the car to the campsite. We unroll the giant 2 room tent and begin to stake it in the ground, and the Fullers have their tent up and ready. A fire is started, and we are hungry (it's around 8:45). Then the rangers drive by and stop, and we watch OutdoorsMan #2 run back to us (would he be running if it were good news?) to tell us the rangers said we are too close to the road, and if we go to the left 25 yards we'll find a campsite.

I begin to gather our tent poles that are splayed out all over the ground like giant pick-up sticks and lead our families deeper into the woods. Sure enough, about 25 yards over (down a slope), there is a flat (albeit rocky and stump ridden) campsite beside water (a very small brook) and a fire pit (on the edge of a drop off into said water). We are hauling kids, coolers, pillows, bug spray, a pack & play, tents and chairs down the hill and trying desperately to beat the fading daylight. We do not succeed.

We discovered that the fallen branch cutting across the campsite makes it impossible for us to set up our 2 room tent, which one room would be Nancy's pack & play since she is not trustworthy enough to stay still in a bed, let alone out on the ground. But we have no choice, we set up our 2 man tent and hope Nancy stays still and falls asleep. While we try and keep the girls from falling off the edge of the hill into the water below, my OutdoorsMan is racing back & forth to the car with our gear, I am setting the tent up in the dark, Kate and Ella and Macy are half-heartedly searching for sticks for the fire, Greta's OutdoorsMan is trying to get a fire goin, and Nancy keeps tripping over all the stumps scattered around the site. She busts her lip, her shin, and even leaves with a scratch on her bottom; I don't know how that happened through her diaper and all that fanny-padding. Eventually I plunked her in a chair and told her if she got up, she'd have a consequence, and she chose to stay put.

We lose a lantern, and the firelight is not strong enough to light much of the site, so it is so very dark as we begin to heat up our supper of hot dogs and beans. It is 10pm at this point, and we still have to make s'mores! After dessert, we wander through the woods and take the kids potty and put them in bed. Kate's asleep before we zip the tent shut, but Nancy is still wiggling around trying to get comfortable. OutdoorsMan #2 found our lantern, which we hung in the tent for a nightlight, and we hear Nancy giggling and clicking the light off and on like a strobe. We go in 4 times in an hour to get her to be still and quiet. I eventually lie down with her until she falls asleep, which is unnatural for us both (we Burnses like our space and solitude when we sleep) and by the time I emerge from the tent, Ryan and the Fullers are done with their heart-to-hearts and are ready for bed!!

We go to sleep around 1am, and Nancy is up by 6:30. I won't go into all the details of how often I woke up and what it was like to sleep in a 2 man tent with all 4 of us in it. But I will say, I did enjoy snuggling with Nancy during the night and listening to my family breathe peacefully, all lying down together making a memory.

The morning came quickly, but we had coffee and the kids had such a good time exploring our little area. It really was perfect - if the water had been bigger, I would have been nervous. They hopped around on the rocks, plopped rocks in the water, climbed trees, picked moss and flowers, and walked in the cold water. It took 2 hours to get our breakfast of eggs and bacon made and by then, it was time to pack up and head out!

We did go to the Cradle of Forestry park and go on a pond-scum insect hunt. The kids really enjoyed it, looking for bugs in the muck with tweezers and dropping them into buckets of water. There was a field guide there to tell us what to do and what all the insects were. I think Macy enjoyed it the most.

We were so exhausted, but I'd do it again. It was so much fun to do it with great friends, and I wish I could have seen the experience through the eyes of our kids. Did they have fun? Were they miserable tired? Did they experience any of the chaos I felt in my heart as I tried to take care of my family in the woods in the dark and totally out of my comfort zone? Did they think it was an adventure? I'd consider it one! OutdoorsMan #1 said it was great practice for when we actually do go camping when the kids are older; I say, let's just wait til they really are older!!! But I'll make no promises we won't have a similar, and possibly longer, story this time next year!


Nancy and me returning to the car through the creepy woods. Way in the background where the trees get dark is where our 1st campsite was.


The girls examining dragonfly larvae.


Nancy with her flashlight; she doesn't look like she only slept 6 hours, does she?


In the "river".


I love how excited the girls would get over simple things. Rocks, for example.


Our dinner. It does not look at all as dark as it really was. Can you see how tired Kate looks?


Al fresco dining. Macy is always ready for a party with her red shoes on. I think that's baked beans on Nancy's chin, but it really may be some dried blood.


There was one photo I desperately wanted to post, but out of respect for our friends, I'm keeping it a secret between the Fuller Family and Burns Family. Let's just say, it is Classic Stuart (OutdoorsMan #2). We love you guys! Let's do it again!?!

1 comment:

Kelley Smith Style said...

are you referring to greta's camping trip in yellowstone or wherever it was out west? that's about as REAL as you get with camping. i think she was just trying to sound humble!