I do not like hot weather, but have come to appreciate all the things that come with the peak of summertime. My favorites are peaches (I think we've bought and eaten a bushel these past 2 months), tomatoes and the zinnias and sunflowers in our yard. These flowers I plant every year for 3 reasons:
1. My mom gives us the seeds. It would be a waste not to plant them!
2. It is one of the few things I consider a "success" in our yard, so I get a gardener self esteem boost by planting them.
3. I love to bring in cut flowers and to share them with friends. This makes all the work on the front end worth it.
Tomatoes, trying to ripen. I haven't ever grown real ones, except for grape ones, so the thought of too many tomatoes makes me happy.
Every year after we put our seeds in the ground and the seedlings sprout, I think that we don't have quite enough seeds, so I go buy a couple of more packets. I think this year I learned my lesson: we always have enough seeds!
Ryan is a ham. So is Kate. I can blame so much on him. And those are Mexican sunflowers, bright orange.
An idea of where the garden is in our yard and how many flowers we have. It's not a huge space, but it gives us more flowers than we can use, so we give most of them away, which is the most fun part of it for me!
No comments:
Post a Comment