Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"The Best Day of My Whole Life"

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who called to check in on me on Meet the Teacher night and the First Day of School! I feel very loved and supported! Kate did great! And I did too.

Her teacher's name is Mrs. Birckbichler (Burke-bickler) but she tells the students to call her Mrs. B. The night before school started, Kate was putting on her pjs and dancing around in her room and I heard her say "The first day of first grade is going to be the best day of my life! I can't wait for second grade!!" Aren't we always looking forward to the next best thing?

I was up around 5:30 this morning, fixed some muffins, drank some coffee so I'd be pleasant to Mrs. B, got a quick shower and dressed, and heard Kate up at 6:45. She went ahead and got dressed and ready, and we ate breakfast together (Nancy too), we packed her lunch together, took some photos, and we were off at 7:35! Kelly, you were right. Goodbye lazy mornings!


First Grade! Mrs. Birckbichler's class.


Julia was gracious enough to coach me through the drop off this morning. We met at a friends house that lives across the street from the school, parked and all walked in together. Julia has a 2nd grader and Kindergartener. I love this shot of the kids walking in together!


Kate at her desk! She sits in the front of the room - I'm wondering when she'll begin to need glasses? Totally anticipating that at some point. She walked right into the class, said good morning to the teacher, hung her backpack up, put on her badge, and sat at her desk and waited for the day to begin! We hugged her and said "Have a great day!" She didn't even get up from the desk to hug us, and said "See ya later!"


Can you see her way in the background? Behind the green box on the desk in the back? I took this from the classroom door. She looked so small to me, and alone. But she doesn't ever consider herself alone I don't think. I don't either, and when I am alone, I relish it. This is the point of the morning where I felt obligated to shed a maternal tear or two; I have a feeling that will come later, after she's gone day after day, and I begin to miss her. Today, I just got TONS of stuff done and had fun with Nancy!


After I picked her up, we went to Sonic for half price slushies and she showed me her worksheets. On the way home, here is our conversation:
K: "Mrs. B isn't like I thought she would be."
M: "What did you think she would be like?"
K: "You know how ladies have short hair? She has long hair. And sometimes even puts it up in a ponytail!"
M: "Is that all?"
K: "Um, she's kind. I thought she'd be, um, I don't know how to say it."
M: "Mean?"
K: "No...."
M: "Like a mom?"
K: silence.....


Nancy's concerned face. Her chair was wobbly.


First Grade Eve Dinner


4 comments:

Keever Kids said...

Loved it! My fave was hearing sweet Nan's voice say "i cited too" and then the pan over to her and the "camera face" she gives to you! :)

Unknown said...

I loved every bit of this post.

Jones Family said...

really sweet. did the maternal tear occur yet? she looks so much like you in the video!

erika said...

Well, how fun to see Kate and Ryan and Nancy on this video!!! Kate is so darling...reminds me of you, girl. :) When you coming this way to see all of us out here? Did you get enough of the west...?!? :)