Why did we go to Chicago? Actually, we were in Aurora, IL. Chicago sounds glamorous. Let's face it: we drove 2 days, 750 miles with 2 kids in a station wagon loaded top to bottom with our stuff and met our friends the Bradshaws at their home in Aurora, in the suburbs about an hour and a half West of the city. The closest we got to downtown Chicago was going to the Brookfield Zoo, still about 30 minutes outside the city. We were more about hanging out with our friends than seeing the sights. We had an amazing time!
Mary Tyson has been my best friend since we were 13. We've known each other since we can remember, and really became close in middle school. We make each other laugh and cry and I have always thought she is the smartest, most beautiful person I know. She moved to Naperville, IL the summer before our sophomore year in high school. She came down to Furman for college, and despite the distance we have remained kindred spirits.
Kate asked me how I knew Tyson, since she lives so far away. I told her we were friends at church when we were students, and then her dad got a new job and they moved away. Kate said "I bet you were sad." Talking about it with Kate, I realized that time in our friendship is still a huge marker for me in my journey. It really was one of the hardest things I have struggled through, and Tyson and I still mourn together sometimes the sadness we both feel of missing each other.
All that to say, this trip was monumental for me and our family. It was fun to go to the zoo, Children's Museum and go on a double date with Sean and Tyson. But it was even more fun to eat breakfast in our pjs together, go to church together, go for runs and the grocery store, watch Gilmore Girls and eat popcorn and even have to discipline our kids in front of each other. To get a taste of their real life was such a blessing!
I've scanned some old photos of Tyson and myself, mainly for her to get a kick out of it; hopefully it will give you a glimpse of why we decided to take a trip to the suburbs of Illinois for our vacation this summer!

Me, Tyson and Tyson's sister Jennifer (on the sofa). Tyson and I are in the 7th grade here. We have no idea who that little girl behind us is. Our jeans are pegged, and, wow. I just feel sorry for the 13 year old "us"es. I know it was some kind of holiday party (hence the red), and I don't know what's on the tv. Ghostbusters? Beetlejuice? A Prize to who can guess it.

On the beach at Holden Beach in NC.

My 15th Birthday. Tyson surprised me before school with a pancake breakfast. That was a big deal, because she went to Eastside, I went to Riverside. Remember when it was cool to wear burgandy, hunter green and navy? We still didn't look cool.

Tyson was my maid of honor in my wedding, and she got married just 5 weeks after Ryan and I did. It was SO much fun to see that much of each other! And I am very, very thankful that we seem to age well.
2 comments:
Sweet post! I'm with Kate-- the car is the BEST place for a nap!
My guess for the tv show: Blossom....?
Loved the pics and learning more about you through your past! :)
Post a Comment