Our dear friends the Gainors are moving to South Asia at the end of the year. We got a chance to visit with them and Mary and Dave sans kids (all 8 of them stayed home with grandparents!) while we joined our friends in Jacksonville, FL for a couple of nights. Definitely on the list as one of the most grown up things we've done - stay in a hotel, no kids, eat out, pay for parking?!?! Who do we think we are?
It was truly a blessing to spend time with our friends. I met Mary and Brandy 12 years ago when we started Clemson. Twelve years!! I am thankful we have managed to maintain our friendships over the years of change, involving lots of moving, lots of babies, new jobs, and learning to be grown ups. It was a sweet time for me, as I got to see more of the work they will be doing after they leave the country, and helped prepare me and my family for how to keep in touch and love on them while they are gone.
Dave & Mary, Gray & Brandy and Ryan and me.
Enjoying some Indian food together. Now I'm not scared to go get some another time!
They guys at the Jacksonville Jaguars stadium. We got to watch the team come out for practice. Apparently that's an exciting thing.
Mary and Bran - between the 6 of us, we only had 2 cameras, both with low batteries. There are very few good pictures!
A few weeks later the girls and I were able to visit with Brandy and the kids. It was so neat to be there. They were totally in transit, getting rid of furniture and food and toys and clothes, literally as we were there! A family came and hauled off their huge sofa! We had a good time visiting, and I enjoyed watching the kids play together. It was hard to leave, but knowing we'll see each other one more time in December helped. It would have been really, really hard for that to be the last goodbye.
When we got in the car and down the street towards home, I looked back and Kate had huge tears in her eyes. I asked her what was wrong, and she said "Sarala is moving to India and we'll never see her again, and I'll miss her so mu-hu-hu-huch!" I was surprised at her emotion. I think it's interesting that kids can spend very little time together and consider each other the best of friends. I cried too, knowing that I'd miss them just as much; and Nancy said "Can I cry too?" and started fake crying. She didn't want to be left out!
1 comment:
ahhh. I can't even think about good-bye for real. Glad for our sweet times together this season in Clemson.
Love you so much
Post a Comment